In Our Community
We're Committed to Community Involvement.
You'll often find YNCU involved in community events in the region - it's all part of being a good neighbour!
- Corus Feeds Kids: THANK YOU to everyone who participated in the Corus Feeds Kids event on Thursday May 17th. YNCU members and Corus listeners (Dave FM & 91.5 the Beat) made cash donations and helped raise $3,405.40 in our local branches! In addition, Your Neighbourhood Credit Union made a $5,000 donation that was split between The Food Bank of Waterloo Region and Cambridge Self-Help Food Bank. The food banks are able to stretch the buying power of $1 to almost $4, so we have provided almost $33,000 worth of buying power to them! The foodbanks buy produce from the Elmira produce auction, so children will be able to enjoy fresh fruit and vegetables. Sincere thanks to everyone who participated, and for helping to give children in our neighbourhood a hand up!
- Canadian Association for Retired Persons (CARP): For the past several years YNCU has co-sponsored the Brantford CARP Chapter Seniors' Resource Fair, providing resources and products to the 50-plus members of our community. CARP is a national, non-partisan, non-profit organization committed to a ‘New Vision of Aging for Canada’ promoting social change that will bring financial security, equitable access to health care and freedom from discrimination. CARP's mandate is to promote and protect the interests, rights and quality of life for Canadians as we age. Visit the CARP website at www.carp.ca
- Car Seat Clinics: Did you know that car collisions are the number one cause of death for Canadian children...? Over 80% of child safe seats are not used properly! We have an annual summer program offering car seat clinics through St. John Ambulance at branches in the Waterloo Region. Event dates are listed on our Community Events page.
- E-waste drop off: Partnering with Greentec and through employee volunteers, we have helped to collect tons of electronic waste at drop off locations in the Waterloo and Stratford areas
- Identify Theft and Fraud seminars: Criminals want your money and they have many clever ways to get it, including bogus contests, home repairs and elaborate stories. Our seminars, jointly provided by local police services help you identify scams and tell you what you can do to protect yourself or someone you know.
- Dog Guides fund raising: in 2006 we met Dreyfus, puppy-in-training, and launched our first campaign to raise awareness and funds for the Lions Foundation Dog Guide Training Program. In 2009 we continued our efforts and "adopted" Pina. It can take up to $20,000 to raise and train a puppy to be a Canine Vision, Hearing Ear or Special Skills Dog Guide. We are proud to have presented the Dog Guides with a total of $24,902.83. Dreyfus graduated from the Special Skills Dog Guide program and lives happily in the Edmonton area supporting Thea, who is partially blind and deaf, and has little strength on her right side due to a neurological condition that causes brain and facial tumours. Pina also graduated from the Special Skills Dog program and has been partnered with Linda, a warm and wonderful Kitchener resident who lives with Multiple Sclerosis.
- Co-operative Young Leaders: Each year, YNCU contributes one percent of the pre-tax profits earned during the previous year to local community charities, local youth initiatives and sponsorships. This includes assisting youths aged 14-17 to participate in a unique leadership and personal development experience through the Co-operative Young Leaders Program (CYL).
Learn more about our Community Relations Program.